1. Mission statement: To develop and recognize professional skills and facilitate networking and information sharing among ACE members who work in the editorial aspects or graphic design of print or electronic publications.
2. Officers (current year):
Chair: Ana Henke, New Mexico State University
Vice Chair: Jennifer Alexander, Oregon State University
Vice Chair-elect: Melea Reicks Licht, Iowa State University
3. Summary of SIG business meeting at annual conference:
Approximately 40 people attended. We handed out ACE C&A Bronze and Silver awards, and members shared information about their winning entries. We then talked about professional development possibilities for the coming year.
4. Officer primary leadership responsibilitiesChair: Reporting, communication (through an e-newsletter), coordinating professional development, and general oversight. Vice Chair: Line up judges for C&A. Vice Chair-elect: Post resources to our website and Facebook page.
5. What is your SIG’s professional development plan for the year?
We polled our SIG membership during our business meeting and on Facebook for topics they’d like to see covered through professional development. So far we have had only a couple of responses. We also plan on polling members via our newsletter.
We are already looking into the possibility of a joint webinar with the Electronic Media and Photography SIG (tentative topic: best practices for working with photographers), and SIG members from Purdue are taking the lead on a session about app development. There is also a possibility for a session on “Design Thinking” presented by David Waingarten from Second Story, who presented at the ACE 2014 conference; we are waiting to hear if they are still interested in working with us.
We’ve started sharing some resource recommendations with members (through our newsletter and Facebook page) and have asked that they contribute resources that they have found useful.
6. How are SIG leaders communicating with members, and on what schedule?
We sent one e-newsletter in July. We’ll send another in August. The e-newsletters will go out every month or two. We also have a Facebook group (47 members out of 100+ SIG members) and post some things there.
7. What is the status of the SIG website?
Our SIG webpage contains the contact information of our SIG leadership, a link to our Facebook group page, lists of webinars we have developed, and copies of our recent spring and fall SIG reports.
8. What are the SIG’s concerns relative to the C&A program?
None to report, currently.
9. What steps will you take to solicit nominations for the Award of Excellence? How will the SIG select its Award of Excellence winner?
We will call for entries through our e-newsletter and our Facebook page. If we get no nominations that way, we will use our listserv to send an additional call.
10. What steps are you taking to encourage members to submit articles and reviews to the Journal of Applied Communications?
We will use our e-newsletter to encourage members to submit.
11. What other issues or concerns would you like to bring to the Board?
What action would you like to request?
We have no additional issues to bring to the Board at this time.